Sunday 1 January 2012

January 2012: New Year revolutions. (stet)

New Year’s Day.

I was going to go out at 8pm on New Year’s Eve which became 9pm, 10pm etc. I finally stopped messing about cleaning and making lists of things to do and got to Bond’s a little after 11pm to meet Steve who was being preached to by Pete the Space invader. (Someone who is right in your face when they talk.) We saw in New Year and Steve suggested we go to the Tuns for one minus the Space Invader thankfully. Problem was that when we got there it had just kicked off, it was the idiot time of night, there is always one person who has to ruin it for everyone else and women can’t keep their gobs shut and just inflame the situation. Steve had ordered his drink but I didn’t feel comfortable as there was an explosive atmosphere so decided to try the Boot just next door but they were closed and when I came out the police had arrived at the Tuns and closed the place down so I went back to Bond’s alone for last orders. I had just time for one drink but as most people had gone I wasn’t too disappointed.

I was feeling hungry but didn’t fancy a take away; I fancied a sit down meal, a curry a Balti, Madras hot, a real bum burner. I don’t know why but I liked the look of the China palace so Cantonese it was. Unlike the Indian restaurant I was going to use, I’ve never seen a waiter drop a nan bread, pick it up, wipe it, and serve it. I had the House Special Chow Mein and a glass of Tiger beer both of which were delicious while I was watching all the idiots outside who couldn’t just enjoy the evening and go home they have to shout and swear.

I got home around 2:30am and after answering a few emails I decided to watch the Downtown Abbey Christmas Special on catch up as it was on 7 days ago. At the time I wasn’t aware that it was being repeated on New Year’s Day so I stayed up needlessly until 6am. What a plonker!

After a very late night I didn’t even wake up until 3pm let alone drag my carcass out of my pit. I was planning on the traditional “hair of the dog” drink with friends but as it was so late I decided not to go. New Year’s Day is always a quiet affair anyway and my only regret was not wishing friends Happy New Year.

I spent the day doing a little cleaning, working out my finances, mulling over “Would that look better over there” and going on the net to see what I could spend my £30 of Amazon Vouchers on. I also had a rethink about the charity shop, okay they no longer have the wardrobe that would have been ideal but I still have my eye on the wall unit and they do have a bookcase and desk which is smaller than mine so I may go back next week and make fresh enquires whilst keeping my eye out for that elusive wardrobe. Whilst I’m in town I may pick up another two under bed storage boxes, the two I bought the other week although full are very useful and at £5 a pop a bargain to boot.

No comments: