Friday 4 May 2007

Quiz 383


Quiz 383
Today's post is slightly later than usual because the PC is running slow. The reason for this is because I have been downloading all 16 episodes of Sharpe and its it an enormous file (around 11GB), But when its done I'll convert them all to DVD files, burn them to disk and save a pretty tidy penny. (Aaah Smug Mode).
Anyway, I really enjoyed the quiz last night at The Albert. The Magic Numbers ran out winners winners with 87pts, CJD were second with 85pts and The Alliance minus Margaret who was watching King Lear in Stratford came in third with 81pts which kind of reminds me of that mad Norwegian football commentator in the Eighties. "Margaret your boys took a hell of a beating."
Last week, The Book Ends asked if I could do a guest round on books, as you can probably remember we used to have a books and authors round and I may slot it in in future so if any member of the Book Ends is reading this let me know when your'e coming next and I'll try to accomadate you. My Email address is quizard_97@yahoo.co.uk for anyone who wants to contact me for any reason. Oh, and Bill? Sorry but I still have no plans for a guest round on the Wacky Races.
Three for Fun (Monday's answers)
The term used in chemistry to describe the movement of a liquid through a semi-permeable membrane, from a less concentrated solution to a more concentrated one is Osmosis.

In the context of ships and the seathe word 'jury' means Temporary or improvised.
A slate rip, foam aspirators and BA sets are carried on a Fire Appliance.
Today's questions (answers on Monday)
1. According to the apocryphal story, the long nose and inquisitive nature of which sixteenth-century Archbishop of Canterbury gave rise to the expression 'nosey Parker'?
2. In relation to aeroplanes, what does the abbreviation C-of-A stand for?
3. Which Dutch artist of the sixteenth and seventeenth centuries painted The Merry Toper, The Merry Company and, most famously, The Laughing Cavalier?
Joke Of The Day: Jet Fuel...
Frank and Jim were a couple of drinking pals who worked as airplane mechanics at Heathrow. One day the airport was fogged in and they were stuck in the hangar with nothing to do.

Frank says, "Man, I wish we had something to drink!" Jim says, "Me too. Y'know, I've heard you can drink jet fuel and get a buzz. You wanna try it?" So they pour themselves a couple of glasses of high octane hooch and get completely smashed.

The next morning Frank wakes up and is surprised at how good he feels. In fact he feels GREAT! NO hangover! NO bad side effects. Nothing! Then the phone rings... It's Jim.

Jim says, "Hey, how do you feel this morning?" Frank says, "I feel great. How about you?" Jim says, "I feel great, too. You don't have a hangover?" Frank says, "No, that jet fuel is great stuff -- no hangover, nothing. We ought to do this more often." "Yeah, well there's just one thing..." "What's that?" "Have you farted yet?"
"No....."

"Well, DON'T, 'cause I'm in GLASGOW!!!"

1 comment:

Margaret said...

Very witty Dave but hope that is the last time you EVER link me with THAT WOMAN or we will seriously fall out!

Can't make it again this week so don't do books yet, the boys wont cope!