Friday 13 June 2008

quiz441


Quiz 441

What a week! As you probably know my computer had to go in to be repaired at Wishbone Technology in Bolebridge Mews last Friday and I only got it back yesterday at 4pm. Now I know how kids feel when their mum screams "No computer for a week!" I had to go back to doing the quiz by hand, the way I used to do them when I started almost eleven years ago and I have to say sometimes it was like swimming through treacle. In fact, the score sheet I used last night was the one from last week with those scores tippexed out. Anyway, it's fixed now and I have an extra 512mb of memory. Considering the circumstances I don't think I did too badly last night which was great as we had a fairly full house, eight teams in all. Our eventual winners were CJD with 89pts, The Alliance came second with 86pts and Drunks Aloud made up the top three with 77pts. As you can appreciate I am playing catch up at the moment and I have nothing prepared for next week so I'd better get on. I'll share with you a joke that Margaret from The Alliance emailed me last week.



Leprechaun's Pot 'O' Gold

Again, no PC so I couldn't research a question, instead I asked: After the end of the evening how many questions will I have written in almost 11 years? The answer being 44,069. Not content with winning £11 last week for the closest guess, Margaret from The Alliance was again the closest with a guess of 43,950 - less than a hundred out - and anothe £11 went into her purse. Next week the pot starts from £22.

Three for Fun (answers from June 2)

The poet laureate who wrote detective fiction under the pseudonym of Nicholas Blake was Cecil Day Lewis.


In the USA, the person with the famous nickname the 'Comeback Kid' is Bill Clinton.


On the Isle of Man, The House of Keys and Legaslative Council make up the parliament which is known as Tynewald Court.

Today's questions (answers on Monday)

1. In English Law, what are the two degrees of kindred, or relation by blood?

2. At which university in England is the final honours examination for a bachelor's degree called the Tripos?

3. Which organ of the United Nations is based at The Peace Palace, The Hague?

Joke of the Day (Thanks Margaret)

A man walked into a quiet bar. He carried three ducks, one in each hand and one under his left arm. He placed them one beside the other upon the bar. He had a few drinks and chatted with the ducks, and with the bartender. The bartender was surprised, but experienced and had learned not to ask people about animals they bring into the bar, so he didn't mention the ducks.. They chatted for about another 30 minutes before the man with the ducks had to go to the restroom. He left the ducks there on the bar. The bartender was alone with the ducks. There was an awkward silence as they all looked at one another. The bartender decided to break the ice and try to make a little conversation.
"Say, what's your name?" he asked the first duck. "Huey," replied the first duck. "How's your day been, Huey?" "Great. Lovely day. Had a ball. Been in and out of puddles all day! What else could a duck want?", said the duck. "Oh. That's nice," said the bartender.

Then he said to the second duck, "Hi. And what's your name?" "Dewey," came the answer from duck number two. "So how's your day been, Dewey?", he asked. "Great. Lovely day. I've had a ball too! Been in and out of puddles all day myself. If I had the chance another day I'd do the same again!", said the duck in reply.

So the bartender turned to the third duck and said, "So, you must be Louie?" "No," she said, "my name is Puddles. And don't even ask what kind of day I've had”.


No comments: