Friday 28 December 2007

quiz417

Quiz 417

Last quiz of the year, Where did the last twelve months go? Nevermind there is no respite as I shall be back (and hopefully a lot of you) on January 3rd. Apologies for not updating the blog last Monday but I was a little busy. Today's is later than I would've liked because I didn't get to bed until 2:30 am and had to be up at 7am for what I was told was " a small beer delivery, only 10 barrels." at Bond's. 10 barrels my arse! try 28 barrels and 76 cases. grrrrrrrrrrrrr, gobshite. Last night's winners were a much depleted Alliance team (Thanks for the pint Gareth, I'm glad your quiz went well, SlĂ inte.) who were without Bob the gob and Margaret. (Hurry back soon both.) with 80 pts. VCJD were second five points back on 75 and third place went to The Props with 69 points. A special mention for Dolphins Vicars and Tarts who were a new team and I am hoping will become regulars. Nice people. I shall make a start on next week's quiz tomorrow in between the mountain of laundry and dishes I've neglected to do. The guest round is due to be Reverse Scattergories. The next update is due on New Year's Eve. In the meantime, quizard_97@yahoo.co.uk is my email address if you wish to contact me for any reason. Finally, let me take this opportunity to wish you all a very happy New Year.

Questions and Answers

Last night's pictures were: 1. Top Gear presenter Richard Hammond 2. Strictly Come Dancing Winner and former Mis Teeq member Alesha Dixon 3. Will Smith 4. Poltergeist child actress Heather O'Rourke 5. Marlene Dietrich 6. Kylie Minogue (in her Dr Who Christmas special uniform) 7. Tottenham Hotspur's Belgian midfilder Steed Malbranque 8. Sri Lankan spin bowler Muttiah Muralitharan 9. French President Nicolas Sarkozy 10. Janis Joplin (just for Viv, Enjoy your New Year in Germany.)

Three For Fun (Last week's answers)

In the Bible, the meaning of the word 'Gethsemane' is "Olive Press."

George Armstrong Custer: was a Lieutenant Colonel at the time of his death at the Battle of the Little Big Horn.


The alternative name given to the loading line mark on the side of a ship's hull is the Plimsoll Line.

Today's questions (answers on New Year's Eve)

1. What name is given to the Japanese speciality of batter-dipped, deep-fried pieces of fish or vegetables?

2. Which US retailing giant is known by the acronym GUS?

3. Which term, for an informal, non-standard and allegedly classless English spoken by young people, takes its name from the accent's origins on the banks of the Thames in Essex and Kent?

Joke of the Day

An atheist was walking through the woods. 'What majestic trees'! 'What powerful rivers'! 'What beautiful animals'! He said to himself. As he was walking alongside the river, he heard a rustling in the bushes behind him.
He turned to look. He saw a 7-foot grizzly bear charge towards him.

He ran as fast as he could up the path. He looked over his shoulder & saw that the bear was closing in on him. He looked over his shoulder again, & the bear was even closer. He tripped & fell on the ground. He rolled over to pick himself up but saw that the bear was right on top of him, reaching for him with his left paw & raising his right paw to strike him.

At that instant the Atheist cried out, 'Oh my God!' Time Stopped.The bear froze. The forest was silent.As a bright light shone upon the man, a voice came out of the sky. 'You deny my existence for all these years, teach others I don't exist and even credit creation to cosmic accident.' 'Do you expect me to help you out of this predicament? Am I to count you as a believer'? The atheist looked directly into the light, 'It would be hypocritical of me to suddenly ask you to treat me as a Christian now, but perhaps you could make the BEAR a Christian'?'Very Well,' said the voice. The light went out. The sounds of the forest resumed. And the bear dropped his right paw, brought both paws together, bowed his head & spoke: 'Lord bless this food, which I am about to receive from thy bounty through Christ our Lord, Amen.'


No comments: